by Anna Mod
Friday, October 5, 2012
Chapel at First Baptist Church
901 Trinity Street
Suggested donation of $5-$10
Move from Houston modernism to Austin brutalism without changing venue. After the lecture, you will have a unique opportunity to tour the gorgeous First Baptist Church. This special tour will be led by one of its original designers, Jack Goodman.
Highlights of Building Modern Houston include:
- The story of the Houston Astrodome
- Landmarks of Houston’s NASA history
- Architecture of private homes and post-war suburban expansion
- Houston's earliest modern-era skyscrapers that transformed the city's skyline
- The surviving treasures of the Richmond Avenue corridor
- Philip Johnson and his contemporaries in Houston
Mod is a board member of The Heritage Society (Houston) and Texas Dance Hall Preservation. She is published in Cite and Texas Architect magazines and is a contributing author of Buildings of Texas, vol. I, part of the national series Buildings of the United States published by the Society of Architectural Historians and due out in April 2012. She has taught historic preservation courses at the architecture colleges at Prairie View and the University of Houston.
Jack Goodman graduated from the University of Texas School of Engineering. His Architectural / Engineerin Firm is BLGY, Inc., which was started in 1955. He retired in 1999.
Special thanks to